Wednesday 5 March 2014

Aberfeldy 12yo (OB)

Aberfeldy 12yo (OB)

The Distillery



http://www.welcometoscotland.com/img/99487/74b8d5568931efd9ccc3ff9aa3f78f57.jpg


The Aberfeldy distillery is home to the Dewar's World of Whisky Experience, the Disneyland of the Dewar's brand, a subsidiary of Bacardi.

With a large exhibition the good folk of the distillery tried to establish the white label as one of the major blends in the world.

It was busy day, so they decided to start our tour where it normally should end, in the old dunnage warehouses. I was extremely surprised to learn that the whole interior of the warehouse was just a facade, no whisky was maturing in those casks, it was just build for the tourists.

So the tone was set for the rest of the visit, I made a vow that I was not going to enjoy my visit to the rest of the distillery and that I was going to hate the liquor they made here.


The tour was ok, I guess, a bit short maybe, as they had a lot of visitors that day, the visitor center was set up well, but as always I prefer experiencing the actual process over just reading about it in a multimedia exhibition.

I had quite a few drams of it at the distillery. They only offer you one sip after the tour, but as fellow companions, who weren't really into whisky, I finished their drinks for them.

A trip to the village made it all better, as the surroundings are absolutely stunning.



The  Whisky

Not to insult this malt, but I actually prefer the Dewar blends over the original single malt.

http://www.rivercitywhiskysociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/aberfeldy12.jpg

Nose: what can I say: light, scents of threshed grain, faint smell of flowers and white fruit: apples

Taste: Smooth and light, not much to tell about this one actually, a bit oily but it generally lacks character: watery oatmeal with ginger and honey.
Finish: Long and lightly spicy finish


Points: 78